CAREFULLY READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS. BY LOGGING ONTO LSGI INTRANET AND/OR DOWNLOADING ANY FILES FROM LSGI, YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS, CONDITIONS, AND REQUIREMENTS. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, CONDITIONS, AND REQUIREMENTS, DO NOT LOGON TO LSGI INTRANET AND DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY FILES.
- General Information. This Code of Conduct for use of the Departmental IT facilities and services will be reviewed and updated to incorporate new rules and regulations as deemed necessary and appropriate. The Department of Land Surveying & Geo-Informatics (LSGI) reserves the right to suspend or terminate the facilities and services provided, without notice if necessary.
Registered students and research personnel are permitted to use any of the LSGI IT facilities and services.
- Departmental User Identifications. Each eligible user is provided with a computer account together with a unique Departmental user identification (called UID). This UID is the access key to all of the Departmental IT facilities and services. Users should read the Code of Conduct document carefully before activating their UID. Activation of the UID implies that the user has read, understood and agreed to observe the LSGI rules for use of our IT facilities and services.
All users are responsible for their own accounts. Password should therefore not be made available to anyone else.
- Security. Access to the laboratories, requires to show your valid student ID card for unlock digital door coder. Be aware that CCTVs are installed in the laboratories for security monitoring.
- Email and Internet Access. The laboratories are currently connected to the PolyU network and to the Internet. Every registered student or research personnel have E-mail facilities on the university mail server and thus no Departmental E-mail account will be provided.
Access is provided to the Internet and World Wide Web for genuine university work. Be aware that access to the Web is monitored!
There is limited storage available for files, so downloading of data should be kept to a minimum.
Downloading of media files (*.MP3) and executable files (*.exe, *.vbs, *.dll)
are strictly forbidden. The lab-in-charge or computer technician may delete excessively large files from the system without prior warning.
- Printing. A free laser-printer pool is currently provided in the Digital Cartography Laboratory for quality printing. Students are required to bring their own paper for printing. A PC is designated in lab for sending the print jobs.
- Network File Storage.For storing teaching and learning related data/information.
Storing of media files (*.MP3) and executable files (*.exe, *.vbs, *.dll) to
the network storage are strictly forbidden. Users should be aware that data/information stored in such places is at their own risk and data/information may not be recovered from any unforeseeable system crashes. LSGI is not responsible for any loss of data/information stored in the network file storage places.
- Local Hard disk Storage. Temporary local hard disk storage (D: drive) is provided in every PC in the laboratories for faster data processing. Users should be aware that such local hard disks are not for long term storage purposes. Users should also be aware that technicians will perform regular clean up on those local hard disk storage drives without notice.
- Backup and Archives. Backups are not performed on the network file storage. Every user is therefore responsible for backing up their own work if it is of a critical nature. For information on backups please see the technician. Note also that there is no recovery mechanism for accidental deletion of files.
- Rules and Conditions of Use (Applied to all laboratories generally).
Rules Governing the Detailed Operation of Individual Laboratories. Users should observe and follow the specific rules and conditions as listed below when using any of the IT facilities and services provided in the individual laboratories.
- No food or drink is permitted in the laboratories.
- No smoking in any university area.
- Displaying pornographic or offensive material is forbidden.
- Playing online game is forbidden.
- Downloading unauthorized software is forbidden.
- Installing unauthorized software is forbidden.
- A user cannot occupy more than one computer or seat at a time.
- It is a criminal offence to steal anything from the laboratory, including software.
- Altering any setting of any equipment without approval from the technician or lab-in-charege is forbidden.
- Users are responsible for their own accounts.
- Accounts must only be used by the account owner.
- Users must log out before leaving the room.
- Users must remember their password.
- Passwords may be changed by users at any time.
- Users must not divulge their passwords to anyone else.
- Sending nuisance, junk or offensive mail is forbidden.
- All accidents must be reported to the LSGI General Office promptly.
- Any hardware or software problem must be reported to computing technician promptly.
Disciplinary Action. Users will be liable to disciplinary action for any misuse of these computing facilities and/or resources. An infringement notice will be issued for any breaches of the rules and the account disabled
(1st infringement - 2 weeks' account disabled; 2nd infringement - 1 month's
account disabled; 3rd infringement - 3 months' account disabled). The case will be reported to the LSGI disciplinary authority for appropriate actions, particularly when the misuse causes embarrassment to the University and/or inconvenience/hardship to the public.
- Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing Laboratory - Included in Appendix A
APPENDIX A - Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing Laboratory Rules
- No food or drink other than water, remove rubbish
- Photogrammetry work only (no games or surfing)
- Behave, be quiet
- No additional software
- Save only necessary work
- Print only necessary information
- Put belongings on chairs or floor
If you have any questions concerning these Laboratories, contact: